Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Interview with Inkyspider!




A few days ago I had the pleasure of getting to know Morgen from inkyspider! Morgen is a delight and her items are full of character and life!


What products do you carry in your shop?

The first thing you’ll notice about my shop, Inkyspider Designs, are the colours. I love bright and earthy colours as well as contrast and pattern. I am a textile artist working in a mixed media of surface design techniques. Many of my designs are on t-shirts for all ages, including baby tees. I also have clothing, scarves, and cushion covers. All images are original, designed by me and applied to fabric with techniques such as dyeing, screen printing, painting, shibori, discharge dye, appliqué and sewing.


Have you always been crafty?

Yes, the first things I can remember making as a child were crotcheted hats and I loved to make dolls. I even sold some and was very pleased with my 10 year old self. I began as a mixed media painter and printmaker, receiving my arts education in Southern Africa where I was born and raised. I have been working with textiles for 18 years doing mostly t-shirts for markets and fairs. In 2005 I decided to really make the switch from painting to fibre art and I am loving it!

What other activities do you enjoy?

Other things that I have going on in my life are yoga, music, gardening, being involved in my community, teaching art, being outdoors and I am presently doing a course in pattern drafting and clothing design.

Were you parents crafty too?
My Mom is an awesome artist. Her joy and spontaneity in her art are an inspiration to me.

Can you tell me, how you store your projects and supplies? (can you tell I'm desperate for a miracle myself?)

Ouch! A bit of a sore point there. This is always struggle. My studio is an organized chaos. Seriously, my husband is great at building shelves from floor to ceiling and I fill them with plastic bins labeled on the outside with what they contain.

Do you work outside the home?

I've worked in restaurants for years with all the other artists, actors and musicians trying to make ends meet. I also do quite a bit of teaching: regular art classes for kids and workshops for adults. Living in a village means that I do great selling my stuff in the summers but it becomes a challenge in the winter. That's why I joined Etsy!

Thanks Mindy,
Cheers, Morgen

No comments:

 
UA-7283460-7